Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Procrastination

Maybe you do this too. Oftentimes, I wake up and get the kids going in time to have some time to myself. I think "Oh, I should write that blog entry I was thinking about yesterday." Inevitably that's when the cereal spills or the crisis call from work happens and of course blogging is WAY down on the priority list, so it gets put off.

That's all well and good, but now that I have some uninterupted computer time I have lots that I want to share. So (because when I get behind in anything the only way I can catch up is if I have a system) I am going to attempt to catch up in chronological order. One entry a day for the next 5 days. I just ask that you limit any judgement if I fail, which I probably will.

First--the chicken recipe.

Our family ate at the Bella a few weeks back and one of the specials was called "Chicken Frescada." (I think). I ordered it and enjoyed it greatly. However my mother's genes reared their head and screamed into my mind "YOU CAN MAKE THIS AT HOME FOR SO MUCH LESS MONEY." We didn't eat out much as kids with the exception of occasional Taco Bell, Chinese Food on billing days and KFC when mom was sick.

So I made it at home. My garden is overflowing with tomatoes and basil, so most everything I am cooking right now has a bit of each. AND in case you haven't heard. Plant your basil and tomatoes right next to eachother. The basil wards off bugs. My tomatoes are completely pest free this year, which is more than I can say for the squash.

Chicken Frescada

Boneless skinless chicken (I like chicken tenders instead of breasts--thinner so quicker to cook)
Flour
Various Italian Seasonings
Olive Oil

Garlic
Diced Tomatoes (canned or peeled and seeded fresh)
Fresh chopped basil
Sliced Olives
Mozzarella
Pasta (For this I like penne)

Heat olive oil in pan over med-high heat. Mix flour and your favorite dried Italian Seasonings (I like 2 parts basil, 1 part marjorim, 1 pt oregano). Coat and shake off chicken and brown in pan. Set aside.

Crush and saute garlic in more olive oil then add tomatoes and basil. (And salt to taste if you use it). Cook just until basil is well wilted. Add olives and heat through.

To serve layer the pasta, chicken and tomato mixture. Top with sliced mozzarella and melt cheese briefly under broiler.

This could just as easily be served without the pasta. Very easy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got so excited as I was reading and saw that you shared your recipe. I knew the gist of it, of course, but it had so much great flavor. I have basil *trees* in my garden...they look like shrubs, they're so big! We love garlic, tomatoes, and basil, especially when they're at their peak right now so I will be adding this recipe to my collection. Thank you again, Melinda!