Friday, September 26, 2008

In Weakness

I got to thinking about friendship this evening. One of my dearest friends and I had a great evening together catching up on all the stuff that you can't really discuss in a larger group setting. As we were talking I realized that I don't count her as a dear friend because she is shiny happy or because she's got it together, but rather because she doesn't.

In fact the friends who are truest, most trustworthy, my real go-to friends, are the ones who aren't afraid to let it all hang out. Maybe I am intimidated by those who've got their stuff together. Maybe I don't believe it is possible and my fake-o-meter starts spinning round.

I met my best friend in high school only because of her dorky vulnerability. She was walking around asking everyone to "be my friend." How can you say no to that?

It is much the same with Christ. In our weakness, he is strong. Isn't that wonderful! I certainly have plenty of weakness. I believe though, we must show some of that same vulnerability. Jesus save me. Be my friend. I need YOU.

No comments: