Thursday, March 6, 2008

In all things....God.

Last fall I started laying claim to verses. When I face adversity my mind starts to whir at a million miles an hour, so quiet time with God quickly became strategic planning sessions. I start with the intention of laying everything before Him and all of a sudden I'm off on my own process. As these trials became more frequent I found that I needed a better way to focus on the Lord. I decided to pick a verse with a promise that seemed to apply to where I was at right then and just read it, recite it, mantra-fy it.

I am in another valley right now and yesterday was an especially difficult day. Because I was at my computer I decided to Google "verses that remind of God's faithfullness." I came across this blog--not a Bible commentary site, not anything but a woman like you or me in a tough spot needing a reminder of God's faithfulness. Hmmmm.

Romans 8:28 was the verse she was clinging to and it made perfect sense for me as well. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Immediately I started feeling that peace that God is faithful to provide. Things may work out, they may not, but He is working through them...despite them....for my good. I can handle that. Later in the same chapter is another favorite--v. 38-39 "For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

When I was in the high school group at my home church there was this girl Liz who taught us a tune to go with those two verses (which are NASB, by the way). I've never heard it anywhere else, so I don't know if she wrote it or if it was recorded somewhere, but I love it. Because of the music I can focus on the words--nothing, NOTHING in ALL creation can separate us from God's love. Thank you Lord!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thank you for this post Melinda. I had a few tears when I read it and it hit home for me as I am struggling a little also(read my blog), anyway, I pray the Lord's peace for you and I am also going to claim the Romans 8:28 verse!!
Love ya lots,
Sarah