Tuesday, February 26, 2008

3 reasons...hmmm

So this evening I got this from a dear friend...
Good evening girls,
I need your help ... please reply to this email with three good reasons why I should start blogging!
I am struggling to commit and would love your encouragement. **** and I just can't take the exclusion from that special club ... T**** - you're next!
Thanks friends,
****
**** indicate depersonalizations... not flagrant vulgarity

So here goes. I really can't tell you why you should blog, I can only tell you why I do it.
Reason #1--Writing practice.
I am now a "published" writer. Me! The girl who almost cried when the GTF tore apart her Writing 120-something research paper. Writing is a skill I would like to improve and this is a good place to practice.
Reason #2--You get to know me.
If you are my friend, you know just how quiet I am--even among friends. When I blog I am telling the stories friends share with each other, but I usually don't. Either you can't hear me or because I know you can't hear me, I just sit back and let other people share their stories.
Reason #3--Record Keeping
I like to scrapbook...my kids lives. I want to remember those details. But in those books you will seldom find me in pictures or stories or otherwise. I used to have a perfect memory. I could tell you first, middle, and last names in chronological order of the guys my FRIENDS dated. Now I am starting to struggle to recall what we did last weekend. The simple act of putting these random events or emotions of life in print (or online if you will) locks them into my memory so someday I will be able to tell the same story over and over like our parents and grandparents do now.

One really good reason not to blog--your friends. "So, are you going to write again. Each time I check it is still the garage door story." Decide up front if you are going to let this be something that makes you feel guilty for neglecting. I don't. I can't. I don't have time for that.

Good luck with your decision. We'd love to have you.

No comments: