Friday, January 18, 2008

You're Fired

I hate hate hate hate hate this part of my job. I am usually very picky about who I hire, because I don't ever want to get to the point where I have to fire. Today, however, I did.

I've worked in management of either someone else's business or my own for 8 years. I've only had to fire 5 people. My favorite was Mr. X (names changed to protect my backside). When he arrived at work on that fateful day I asked him to come in my office for a moment. He said (before even coming in) "Am I fired?" I said yes handed him his check and he walked out.

The worst was a woman about 2 years ago....Ms. B. She cried, begged, yelled, everything you dread when you go in for a conversation like that. About a week later she sent a scathing letter to me about how I was the worst boss ever...totally unreasonable in my expectations of her. Since she stormed out, she eventually had to come back for her stuff. It was mostly kitchy junk, but she felt she needed it. She barely spoke a word. Walked in with a box, packed it up, and walked out. The only exchange was her asking if I had found a replacement yet. I had hired a fresh-out-of-college energetic young woman (more or less the opposite of the original) who was right next to me at the time, so I introduced them. That's when she left.

Today's experience was better than expected. It went as well as it could have and I think we both left the conversation looking forward to our respective futures. God has been faithful to me and to my business. His hand has been apparent every step of the way. However in situations like this, I am always fearful of the testimony I present. I am taking away someone's livlihood. More on this soon....but I need to see how the next few days play out in order to know.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Well, if it's any consolation, you have way better hair than Mr. Trump!!
:)

missjcastor said...

I'm sorry Melinda! Who was it this time? Hopefully not a Director.