Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Sleeping With Men

Let me just start by clarifying that I am actually talking about sleeping, or rather not being able to sleep. While I have fairly narrow personal experience (read one(1)) with men, my informal polling (read chatting with my friends) has revealed that when a woman can't sleep, her man has no pity.

It doesn't matter if I am sick, stressed, too hot, too cold, too whatever...he just isn't going to interrupt his sleep to commiserate with me. The attitude is "why should my perfectly cozy, Serta-inspired evening be interrupted just because you can't sleep?" Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting full 100% alertness, just some concern.

By no means am I the newest reincarnation of June Cleaver, but when roles are reversed, I feel that I, and women in general, are more considerate. We will make the offer to get something to drink, another blanket, cough medicine--whatever is needed. So please honey, next time I am tossing and turning at 2am, recognize it as an opportunity to surprise me with your reaction.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!

Jennifer...aka: Jen or "MOMMM!" said...

Ahhh... a new post! :)
You should make multiple copies of your post in bold 24 font and tape 1 to each of the following:
the remote, the TV, the fridge, the wall behind the toilet, his truck windshield... you get the point.

Kristen said...

Hey Melinda, glad you joined the blogging world! This post is too funny because Steve and I are the opposite (usually). If I am coughing, sick, thirsty, cold, whatever he will do whatever I ask him to do for me (so nice huh). He is such a baby when he is sick that I have a hard time drawing out any sympathy for him....terrible huh.

Steve 'n Marie said...

I sympathize with your disappointment in men (a constituency I am well aquainted with) during your time of need.
However, in their defence, before the desired and appropriate action can occur, there has to be a recognition by the aforementioned group, that there is an unmet need. It IS the desire of men to fix things. Therefore, you have to bring the need and the desired action to a level of conscienceness in the target (the man). Then and only then, if the desired behavior is not forthcoming, a smack upside the head is probably justified.