Thursday, May 22, 2008

Back to the present....

OK, this is a departure from my recent series of blogs. I don't watch a lot of TV, but since we have DVR now, I can track a lot of shows that I had given up on. Anyway...GO DAVID COOK!!!! I am so glad he won. That sappy squinty-eyed 17-yr-old just wasn't cutting it for me.

And speaking of voting--I noticed an interesting stat in the paper this morning. The Mail Tribune listed the Oregon Primary Results. As a Republican, I abstained from voting. McCain virtually has the nomination and the other primaries were nominal enough that I was unwilling to take a stand for people who I didn't know. I am, however very interested in the democratic primary. What a year. Here is the stat that caught my eye--600,210 Democratic votes were reported in Oregon--Clinton received 248,137 of them. On the Republican side only 326,900 votes were cast. And despite the drastically reduced Republican turnout and Oregon's proclivity to vote for fringe people like Ron Paul, John McCain received 277,597 votes--29,460 more than Clinton.

I know, I know, you can manipulate staticstics to say just about anything, and you can explain away outcomes, but I still think it is curious. Back to American Idol--maybe the outspoken comments of the judges proclaiming "sappy and 17" the winner were really intended to inspire those of us who liked David Cook to get out the vote. I didn't vote in that one either.

No comments: