Friday, June 25, 2010

Formula for Peace

Do not worry about anything (HAHAHAHA).
Instead, pray about EVERYTHING. (That, I can do)
Tell God what you need. (Hope he has a paper and pen)
And thank Him for all he has done.

Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand.

This is MY passage. MY formula for coping with stress. In HS Group at TRF on Thursday's the pastors have been preaching through Philippians and I've eagerly awaited this passage. It was there waiting for me last night. I even got to preview it with my friend Lauren who needed a little peace that night.

So, two weeks ago we were given a 30 day notice on our rental. Slightly expected, but with a significantly shorter time frame that what I had been led to believe we would be given. With Jason's landscaping company comes a LOT of stuff. Two trucks, two trailers and about a garage and a half full of things that seem never to be accessed but are somehow imperative to retain. On top of that we have two dogs and a cat. (We actually have two cats, but one will be disappearing to the good people of the humane society before my daughter comes home from Gram's house.) And it should really be in Central Point, so we can be close to the place where Jason dumps debris.

These factors make it difficult (understatement) to find an appropriate rental house. Additionally, our experience of owning and subsequently closing a failing business has left us with unfathomable debt and a FICA score to be scorned.

But God has provided in the past. Twice, actually. The first time was a home with a barn and a view of the Table Rocks. Then, when the owners decided they were ready to demo that house and build their dream home on the property God brought us to the home we are in now. This time the view had shifted to Mt. McLaughlin and Roxy Ann.

This time, after just a few days of looking we found a home that was perfect. Good parking. In town (there are some negatives to living in the country--ticks, poison oak, no place to ride bikes, limited internet). A pool. Good price. "Pet friendly"-ish. But when we were shown the house, I got the distinct feeling the owner didn't like us, our children, or the fact that we had pets. He was polite, but was as discouraging as possible. We applied nonetheless and despite the encouraging words of friends, today is the day we were supposed to have heard, and as of yet, we have heard nothing. It could still happen, but I don't expect it.

Meanwhile, I have been vigilantly checking craigslist for potential homes. We have been offered scams three times (I'll post some of those letters in a future blog...amusing). We have lowered our standards to "we can park everything on the street and have our neighbors hate us." Even at that, nothing has come available.

For those of you who used to read my blog--remember I go on and on and on. For those of you who are new to this. I'm sorry. Blame my high school writing teacher who constantly wanted "more details."

Yesterday, on my way back from Eugene I decided to stop by a house I had seen listed in Gold Hill and hated. From the pictures it was an older trailer house in the middle of nowhere. I really felt like we were supposed to be in town so I had been ignoring it. But, out of desperation, I drove by. It is actually a really nice house. Parking is good. And, it is really a beautiful setting. Still has poison oak, still has ticks and I'm pretty sure they have never heard of the internet out there. But it could work.

Then this morning, a home which was a decent fit but at the very top of our price range, dropped in price. It is in town, in a very good bike-riding neighborhood. It's really near to good friends, the church where the kids go to AWANA , my favorite sushi restaurant, and a school. There is absolutely NO poison oak. There's also no pool, but I'm okay with that. We have an appointment to look at it tomorrow morning. Parking could be better, but it's a neighborhood where if we park on the street, no one is going to mind.

I have hope again. Dare I say peace? These may not be wish list material, but both will fit our family's needs. Please be praying...we will still need to apply and be approved for a house and have only 16 days to be out of our current one. Four of those days I will be rafting with the HS group.

Tell God what you need: We need to be approved for one of these houses and have you direct us in our forthcoming decisions.
Thank him: Thank you for restoring my hope. Thank you for providing so well in the past. Thank you for the opportunity to get on the river for a few days next week. Thank you for my parents keeping the kids so I can pack. Thank you for dying on the cross so that we can even have this formula. Thank you in advance for your peace.

1 comment:

Samantha Nesper said...

Keep me updated, my dear. And best of luck. I hope the house is fantastic for you.